Ground Vapour & Moisture Barrier
Excessive moisture in a conventionally vented crawl space is one of the biggest crawl space concerns. As moisture increases in or under a structure, this increases the possibility of attracting and creating an environment that supports wood destroying insects (like termites), creates a space that encourages mould growth, and makes the structure susceptible to wood rot. Additionally, the effects of excessive moisture can negatively impact indoor air quality.
The crawl space in a home may be out of sight but the effects of excessive moisture in a crawl space should never be overlooked.
Sustain Energy Solutions protects your crawlspace or underfloor. We provide moisture control by using a high-quality vapour/moisture barrier to cover the ground. This system, along with proper drainage and a form of mechanical drying will provide great moisture control protection.
Additionally, Sustain Energy Solutions can seal your vents and set up a dehumidifier.
With a moisture barrier, your home is healthier and dryer.
- Condensational moisture
- High levels of humidity
- Ground moisture vapours
- Moisture intrusion from outside of the foundation walls
If you are having problems with moisture in your home, having Sustain Energy Solutions install a moisture barrier can help mitigate this problem. You may need water management also to get the full moisture issue under control.
Common symptoms of a crawl space or ground moisture problem
- Mould or moisture damage in the crawl space or living area
- Musty odours in the living area
- Condensation (“sweating”) on air conditioning ductwork or equipment
- Condensation on insulation, water pipes or underfloor in the crawl space
- Buckled hardwood floors
- High humidity in the living area
- Insect infestations
- Rot in wooden framing members
- Bare dirt, trash – unsightly
Why install a ground moisture barrier?
- To reduce possibility of moisture from rising to the floor system
- Reduce an environment that invites termites
- Help prevent mould growth
- Keep insulation from falling
- Promote clean air inside house by reducing odours caused by moisture
- Temperature and humidity monitoring
- Crawl space is cleaner looking
- Correct humidity
- Dry crawl space surfaces